Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Weagle Weagle

Hi, Brad here...So I kind of missed the boat on the whole preseason prognostications this year. I actually had some of it written then I just forgot about finishing and posting. So it goes. In a nutshell, my preseason thoughts are as follows (to keep you interested, I've peppered in some photos of Baby Girl and our surprise weekend guests)...

I believe we will go 9-3 this year with a chance to see Atlanta (SEC Championship Game) if the ball bounces the right way. This year will be exciting due to a little more depth on the Defensive side of the ball and a couple of new special play-makers for the offense. With that being said, I am going to ease my way into the blogosphere this season and make a post to rehash the AU game from the previous day. This will probably last until we get drilled one game and I am unable to put my frustration into words….but until then, here we go.



Auburn 52 Arkansas State 26


I will start by saying that this was Arkansas State. We knew we should win and we did. We came out of the game with a win and nobody was injured. Mission accomplished. As with any game there are always positives and negatives. One negative that was frustrating to watch was how our defense was so hit or miss last night. We had one possession where we would look like world beaters and then the next the skinny kid from Arkansas State would lead a Touchdown drive as if he were Joe Montana. I understand it was the first game and all but we should not give up 26 points to an SEC team much less lowly Arkansas State. The one thing I keep telling myself on this is that it was the first game. Yes, Yes. Ease up Brad. But I keep waiting for us to come out and go for the jugular. We had the opportunity to do that and we didn’t.


Another thing that was frustrating to see was the penalties. All off season the die-hards such as myself would hear Gene Chizik talk of how we have to correct the penalties. We were 11th in the SEC last year in yards allowed off of penalties. Last night we had 7 penalties. I understand that penalties are a part of the game but the ones we make just come at the most inopportune times. I sure hope this was a first game jitter thing too.

As for the positives, all everything JUCO recruit Cameron Newton certainly lived up to the billing. He had 3 passing touchdowns and 2 rushing. It’s not every day that you see an AU quarterback take off for a 70 yard run. That was definitely a surprise to see after watching the not so fleet of foot Brandon Cox and Chris Todd the last 4 years. I will be the first to say that we played a Sun Belt team and the Red Wolves Defense wasn’t exactly Bama, BUT, he definitely got the Auburn faithful excited about what this offense has the opportunity to do.


Going forward we play Mississippi State in Starkville, MS this Thursday night on ESPN. This game scares me because it is our first real test in 2010. We play on the road in the SEC on ESPN in primetime in a hostile stadium that has cowbells. To win this game we can’t have the stupid penalties and we can’t give up the big play. That will only fuel the fire for the cowbell crew. On offense, we just have to plug along. I think our depth and talent is more superior than Miss. St. and with time we can wear them down.

MY PICK – The Bulldogs will keep it close until midways through the 3rd quarter and then they break. AU hits a big play that will take the air out of the place and then it will be just holding on. AU wins by 13.

2 comments:

Bradford Boney said...

Nice post, Brad. Never heard them referenced as "The Cowbell Crew", but fitting nonetheless.

Kat said...

Sorry Brad, I totally skipped over all the football stuff & looked at pics of the cutie! Where did you all find the Auburn outfit?