Thursday, February 19, 2009

Weekend Road Trip

I said that I was going to put forth more effort in making regular posts, but here I am again a week later. So sorry for the laziness! Last Saturday, Brad and I ventured out to the Hickory Furniture Mart in Hickory, NC. With four floors and 100 manufacturers, this place was a designer-wanna-be's dream! We saw plenty of beautiful things with higher than expected price tags. I discovered that many of the showrooms featured high-end furniture pieces that even at "outlet" prices were out of my reach. But we did see plenty of things that I liked and had bargain prices, they were just not things that we needed at the moment. The visit to the HFM was more out of curiosity, but I did keep my eyes peeled for guest bedroom side tables and a computer armoire. Although after a couple of hours, we left empty handed. In May, the HFM will hold its semi-annual After Market Sale. The furniture manufacturing capital of the world (seriously) is located in High Point, NC (20 minutes from Winston-Salem). Each Spring and Fall, the world's largest furniture market is held in High Point. After the market, designer furniture samples are then sent to the HFM. I can't wait to see what I can find on my next trip! On the way home, Brad and I stopped at Dee's Antiques that was located off the interstate. This place was jam packed with dishes, linens and mostly junk, but I had fun scrounging around in the shop's old rooms.
I left with this vintage, red clutch from the fifties. Of course, I really have no need for another purse, but I couldn't pass it up the $8 price!

2 comments:

laurenbusbee said...

Love the purse, Mak! You have the best eye!

Jennifer said...

ooooh I did not know about the "after-market" sale. I could get into serious trouble with that one!