Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Long Drive and a Bit of Advice

Appalachian Mountains somewhere between NC and TN
I have packed my bags once again and headed back to Alabama for a couple of weeks. I am leaving Sweet Brad and a beautiful fall behind in North Carolina. My drive down on Monday, was absolutely gorgeous despite the winding two-lane mountain roads I had to navigate. Early Monday morning, I had to change my driving route at the last minute due to a random rock slide on I-40. My drive was VERY long and unfamiliar, but I finally made it home.

In other news, I would like to share a bit of advice on how to speak and interact with pregnant women...

1. It is ALWAYS inappropriate to make negative comments about a pregnant woman's size. For example:

Woman in Sam's: "When are you due?"

Me: I smile and say, "February 10."

Woman in Sam's: With shocked expression, " Really?! That far away?!"

You might as well just call me fat to my face.

2. NEVER pat, rub or touch a stranger's belly bump...NEVER...I know, this is a tough one. Resist the urge. For example:

Woman in Wal-Mart Customer Service Line (young woman with three, unruly snot-nose kids): Woman turns to me in line and says, "OH, is it a boy or a girl???!!!!" She then proceeds to grab my belly with both hands and doesn't let go.

side note: remember this is a complete stranger

Me: With shocked, wide eyes I say, "Girl."

Woman in Wal-Mart Customer Service Line: While still man-handling my baby bump, "OH, don't you just LOVE being pregnant??!!"

Me: Still shocked and expressionless I say, "Yes, I am excited."

Woman in Wal-Mart Customer Service Line: Says to unruly, snot-nose children, "Do ya'll remember when Mommy was pregnant??!! Do ya'll want to feel the baby??!!"

Her children take their dirty little hands and start rubbing and patting my belly. At this point, I am dumbfounded and very anxious. I begin scanning the check-out lines for security. In my mind, I am screaming, "STOP!! GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF ME!!"

The whole occurrence, eerily reminded me of a recent Private Practice episode were a crazy woman cuts one of the main character's baby out of her belly and kidnaps the baby.

To recap, it is NEVER acceptable to touch a stranger's belly bump.

2 comments:

Shealy said...

That is awful!! At a faculty meeting last year, one of the older ladies asked me how fat along I was. When I told her, she looked at my stomach, then at me, and back at my stomach. She said, "Really?? You sure are big." COME ON!! Don't they realize that your hormones are raging!!! Can't wait to see you Saturday!

Amy said...

I love your stories!!! I got that all the time because I was huge!!!! :) I bet you are so tiny and cute. I hope that everything is going great with yall and I am so excited that you are having a little girl! They are the best. haha. I ran across your blog on Melinda's blog so I thought I would check it out. It has been so long since I have gotten to see you. Maybe we can all get together sometimes soon :) Hope you have a great week!!!
Amy Millington