Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Home for the Holidays

Well, its more like home away from home for the holidays. Since we have moved to North Carolina, I have been working to make our temporary house a home. Recently, I drug out our Christmas decorations and began to dress our nest for the season.

Our tree showcases our collection of ornaments. My favorites are those that were handmade by my Mom's mother, Granny Honey. She works throughout the year to create these beautiful hand-stitched, felt ornaments. Each Thanksgiving Day, Granny Honey lets each grandchild choose one of the ornaments to keep. I now have 25 of these works of art that are very special to me. Here is a closer look at a few:

This is the ornament that Granny Honey gave me on my very first Christmas.

This is my favorite!

After an eventful morning of gathering a few stems of fresh greenery from the neighborhood, I was able to put together a few decorations for our mantle and coffee table. My neighbors were not happy that I had taken the liberty of "pruning" the holly bushes and evergreens in our culdesac.

I need a few more pieces of these pine branches, but I am not sure I am brave enough to endure another confrontation with the neighbors.

I love setting the table for the holidays. Unfortunately, our small breakfast table doesn't have much room for grand decorations, but I think it turned out ok. I love these crystal candlesticks that we received as a wedding present!

6 comments:

Emily said...

I love that you have joined the blog world!!! I must start updating mine more often. The house looks great! Talk to you soon :)

Beth said...

Beautiful! I love Granny Honey's
tradition she started years ago!
This blog was a great idea, just be sure to update it often! Love ya'll.

laurenbusbee said...

Aunt Mak,

Do you think you could come down to Memphis and help decorate our house?!? Your tree is gorgeous, and I love all of the sweet ornaments from Granny Honey. True treasures!

I am so glad you've joined the blogging world, and I love the name (although I hope it's not a real "party of two" for too much longer:)).

We love you and hope you enjoy your home away from home this holiday season. See you in a couple of weeks!!

Adrian said...

Your home looks fantastic! I'm so glad you have a blog. See you soon!

Val said...

I'm so excited that my adopted little "brother" and his beautiful wife have a blog!! I can't wait to keep up with it and your home looks beautiful. I hope ya'll are settling into NC.

Jennifer said...

those ornaments are so pretty!

and I'm glad I'm not the only one who "borrows" from the neighborhood. I've yet to be caught, but as soon as the hydrangeas start blooming I'm sure it'll just be a matter of time ...